Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, April 20, 2010

    Album Review: Kate Nash - My Best Friend is You

    by Alex Mayfield

    Three years after her debut LP, indie girl out of London, Kate Nash, releases her second album entitled My Best Friend Is You. Nash has a voice that works well, especially with the speedy style of music that she plays so much of. The album starts off strong with the up-tempo “Paris” and continues the same style until the investigational “I Just Love You More.” She took a risk by leaving her comfort zone and to me the risk wasn’t worth the reward. It just doesn’t fit. She has different styles on this album which are speedy Brit-Pop, experimental, and calm ballads. The ballads and the pop songs work. The experimental songs (“I Just Love You More”, “I’ve got a Secret”, “Mansion Song”) never really come together for me and take away from what she does well. The other issue with this album is that the stuff she does well blends together and becomes a little forgettable. I give her credit for trying something new, but it just didn’t work for me. I enjoyed some of the songs but the album as a whole is just decent. Maybe it will grow on me.

    6.5 / 10

    Songs to Download: “Do-Wah-Do”, “Kiss That Grrl”, “Later On


    1 comment:

    1. Do-Wah-Doo really does grow on you. First time I heard it I thought it was Lilly Allen, yet as you get into it, Kate comes right out.

      ReplyDelete